Every time you think that the computer has got as thin, fast, and good-looking as possible, it seems that Apple blows its previous products out of the water. The internet’s attention was piqued when Apple announced the release of a new 16-inch MacBook Pro yesterday. While everybody has an opinion on Apple, it can be difficult to find the cold, hard facts of the new release. Here’s everything that you need to know about what Apple are calling ‘the world’s best pro notebook’.
16-inch MacBook Pro 16-inch overview
Online release date: November 13th
US release date: ‘later this week’…
Rest of world release date: ‘Coming soon’…
Price: $2,399 and up
Made for anyone who relies on a Mac to create their life’s best work, the new MacBook Pro has seen changes to the display, keyboard, audio, battery life, and memory. Tom Boger, Apple’s senior director of Mac and iPad Product Marketing noted:
“Our pro customers tell us they want their next MacBook Pro to have a larger display, blazing-fast performance, the biggest battery possible, the best notebook keyboard ever, awesome speakers and massive amounts of storage, and the 16-inch MacBook Pro delivers all of that and more. With its brilliant 16-inch Retina display, 8-core processors, next-gen pro graphics, even better thermal design, new Magic Keyboard, six-speaker sound system, 100Wh battery, up to 8TB of storage and 64GB of fast memory, the 16-inch MacBook Pro is the world’s best pro notebook.”
- 500 nit.
- P3 wide colour gamut Retina display.
- Increased to 16-inch size.
- Resolution of 3071x1920.
- Pixel density of 226 ppi (that means nearly 6 million pixels…).
- All-new Magic Keyboard.
- Refined scissor mechanism delivering 1mm of key travel.
- Comfortable, satisfying and quiet typing experience.
- Touch Bar.
- Touch ID.
- Toted as the best typing experience ever on a Mac laptop.
WANT Les EssentielsNavy / Navy Haneda Computer Bag£450
WANT Les EssentielsBlack / Black Nylon Haneda Computer Bag£450
Normann CopenhagenBrown / Black Steel Studio Chair £265
Campbell ColeNavy Simple Key Toggle £33
MenuBlack Peek Table Lamp £270
Form & ThreadOlive Fine Stripe Essential Shirt £75
PhaidonBertoia: The Metal Worker Book £60
New thermal design
- Allows the MacBook to run at higher power for longer.
- New fan design features extended blades and bigger vents.
- 28% increase in airflow.
- These advancements allow the MacBook to sustain 12 more watts during intensive work periods.
Processors & memory
- Latest 6- and 8-core 9th-generation processors with Turbo Boost speeds up to 5.0GHz.
- Up to 2.1 times faster than quad-core 15-inch MacBook Pro.
- Up to 8TB storage and 64GB fast memory.
In practice, this means that:
- Music producers can play back projects with up to 2.1 times more plug-ins in Logic Pro X.
- Scientists benefit from 2.1 times faster simulations in MATLAB.
- Developers using Xcode can compile code up to 1.8 times faster.
- Photographers can apply complex edits 1.7 times faster in Photoshop.
OPUMO’s verdict on the new 16-inch MacBook Pro
When laid out in bullet-point form, it seems like the 16-inch MacBook Pro is lightyears beyond recent MacBook Pro models. It may well be for some, but when it comes to general use we can’t see much attraction to the new model. With a staggering $2,399 price tag, this MacBook feels set for professional use and nothing else. While the new display will certainly be a pretty addition, the performance upgrades will be barely noticeable for the average Apple user.
For more information, visit Apple.
Read up on our top 5 apps of 2019 covering travel, fitness and even meditation.