Stone Island was founded in 1982 by Massimo Osti, a renowned Italian garment engineer and fashion designer who over the years made a name for himself as the ‘godfather of urban streetwear’. Osti revolutionised the fashion industry by discovering ‘Tella Stella’, a tarpaulin-like cloth used by the military to cover trucks. Using the fabric, he created a collection of seven jackets, which were heavily inspired by military style and featured the now-iconic Stone Island badge – a compass symbolising love for the sea and a drive for constant improvement and innovation.
Fast forward all these years later and Stone Island continues to be at the forefront of fashion innovation. Headed up by creative director Carlo Rivetti, the brand is renowned for its forward-thinking, high-tech design and military-inspired aesthetic. Expect weatherproof, reflective jackets in bold colours, with removable linings and dual layers; hardwearing overshirts in stretchable cotton twill and lightweight elasticated trousers, easily packed down for easy travel.
Keen to get your hands on some Stone Island garms? Read our Stone Island sizing guide for everything you need to know about how the brand's pieces fit.
Stone Island sizing: tops and jackets
- The sizing of Stone Island's jackets, hoodies, sweatshirts and overshirts is relatively straightforward, with sizes S to 3XL available.
- Most tops are designed for a regular fit and items generally fit true to size, so take your normal size.
- When it comes to finding your perfect jacket size, be sure to keep in mind the layers you'll be wearing underneath: it might be worth sizing up if you don't want a fit that's too snug.
Stone Island sizing: trousers
- Stone Island's bottoms fit true to size, so take your normal size.
- Most Stone Island trousers use waist inches, while some use the same sizing system as the tops: sizes S to 3XL.